Name: Emma Lowe
Job Role: Operations Director
Organisation: Geotechnical Engineering Limited
- BSc Environmental and Resource Geology, University of Manchester
- MSc Environmental Sedimentology and Geomorphology at University of Reading
- currently studying an MBA
1. What inspired you to take up a career in the Geosciences?
I was fascinated by fossils and rocks I found on the beach as a child. To keep me quiet on the way home my dad bought me a book on geology and I was hooked.
2. Can you give more detail about your path to your current job role?
I was late to the party in that I only gained my first graduate role when I was 25 after spending a few years working in licenced retail. After around two years as an Engineering Geologist I was given the opportunity to price, plan and manage my own projects and shortly after was appointed as Manager of the Rail Team. In 2010 I became the Senior Drilling Manager, before being made Director in 2014.
3. What does your current job role involve?
I now run all of the Operations Teams and the Drilling Support Teams for the company so my role involves coordinating all of the guys who are responsible for delivering the fieldwork, lab testing and report writing.
4. What do you enjoy most about your job?
Not knowing when you wake up in the morning what the day will bring. The things I enjoy most are the achievements made by the team, happy Clients and all of the daily problem solving
5. Why do you think it’s important to encourage more girls into Geoscience?
Whilst being an Engineering Geologist is a physical job, it’s also incredibly diverse and rewarding. You get to visit so many places and meet new people almost every day whilst learning a valuable trade you can take worldwide.
6. If you could give a piece of advice to girls currently thinking about a career in the Geosciences, what would it be?
You can do it! Start your career with a reputable ground investigation contractor to gain a sound knowledge of ground conditions and Geotechnical Engineering, then the world is your oyster.
A new profile is added each Wednesday at 10am BST. If you’d like to be involved, upload your profile today using the ‘profile uploads’ page or email: email@example.com
Follow us on Twitter: @girlsingeosci